Before you can broadcast live, schedule a live event within your station calendar. Please see this guide for more information.
What is Virtual DJ?
Virtual DJ is audio mixing software that PCDJ’s use in place of Vinyl or CD based decks. While some knowledge of beat mixing and cueing is beneficial, Virtual DJ allows anyone to start mixing audio without having to purchase expensive equipment. Virtual DJ is available for both Windows and Mac platforms and supports both MP3 and AAC files.
What You Need
Once installed, you may wish to set up your music library. This guide is going to focus on connecting to your Radio.co Station. If you are unfamiliar with VDJ, you can visit their help page to grab the basics here.
For reference, we are using Virtual DJ 7 Pro.
Please be sure you have scheduled a live event before attempting to connect - You can do this via the 'Schedule' tab within the Radio.co dashboard.
- Launch Virtual DJ and choose the RECORD tab above the Media Browser.
- On the sidebar to the left, click 'Broadcast' then click Config….
- A new window will appear. In the Format section choose SHOUTcast (MP3) and the bitrate you would like to broadcast at. (This should match your Radio.co output bitrate - 128Kbps by default)
- In the Server section, choose Broadcast to a radio server and fill out the following fields ONLY (This information is listed on the live DJ bar on the Radio.co Dash):
Enter Your Station's Details
- Name: Enter your station name. Leaving blank will cause connection issues
- Server: Enter your Host URL (e.g. transcoder.radio.co)
- Port: The 4 digit port number (E.g. 1000)
- Password: E.g. 11a1aa1a1a1a
- Genre: E.g. Rock
In the Config window, there is an Autostart option - This will connect to your station when the first cued track is started in Virtual DJ. If this is disabled, VDJ will connect as soon as you click Start Recording.
When your server is setup, cue your tracks then click Start Recording.
If you receive an error, please check the following:
- The password is correct
- Your live DJ counter shows 'Time Remaining'
If Autostart is enabled, Virtual DJ will begin streaming to your Radio.co station as soon as you hit Play.
You can check the connection status on your Radio.co dashboard.
NOTE: You can only go live when the Live event starts. If you try to connect to the system before the start time, your broadcast software will show an error.